Research has revealed that the Black and Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) population is the most affected by Covid-19 in the UK. NESTAC provides counselling and emotional support to BAME families affected by the Covid-19 pandemic during and after the lockdown period. We use a person-centred approach, recognising the uniqueness of each person, as well as the diversity of cultures and beliefs.
Our mental health team is made of bilingual staff who could support clients in different languages.
Helplines and digital platforms are used for cross-cultural counselling and emotional support, or simply for an informal chat to alleviate any form of stress related to Covid-19.
NESTAC has been working closely with BAME families who need help and emotional support.
You can download the flyer here to share with the most vulnerable in your community.
What we already know
A third of Covid-19 patients are from the Black and Asian Minority Ethnic population (BAME).
Why is this service necessary?
Covid-19 related emotional support for BAME families is limited in Greater Manchester.
Who can call?
We offer our services to people from the BAME communities who are:
- Recovering from Covid-19 or are self-isolating.
- Relatives and friends of clients suffering from Covid-19.
- Bereaved relatives and friends of a deceased Covid-19 person.
- BAME women and young girls whom have been victims of abuse and violence.
Who are we?
NESTAC is a charity that specialises in the provision of cross-culture emotional support. We have registered Mental Health Practitioners and Psychotherapists. We also have bilingual trained Peer Mentors who are skilled in basic cultural counselling. Additionally, we are supported by community support volunteer workers.
What is available?
- We can provide advice, guidance and information relating to Covid-19 matters.
- We can provide cross-culture emotional support relating to pre and post Covid-19 issues.
- We offer tailored psychosocial therapy for women and young girls who have been victims of violence and abuse during Covid-19.
We offer both individual and group therapy sessions.
At NESTAC we provide online training if required.
Our advice, guidance and support are provided in a variety of languages including Somali, Kurdish, Swahili, Urdu, Arabic, French and more.